[Coco] CoCo emulation on a Compaq Internet Appliance?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Oct 28 04:37:40 EDT 2007

At 01:44 AM 10/28/2007, you wrote:
>Yea I finally got the thing booting dos. Also got a k6-III @ 333Mhz
>running so far. I only got it yesterday so I'm still messing around with it.
>In its un-modded form thats all it will do is Dial a preprogrammed
>number. Don't even bother trying to get it to do anything else.
>Seems there are two vesions. 1 is considered modable because you can
>get to the bios and the other is non-moddable because Compaq locked
>down the bios. Anyway while its trying to boot, at the Compaq screen
>keep hitting the "compaq" key. Its really F10. If it drops to the
>bios settings it's the moddable version. Or you make have to "hard
>reset" the bios to get there. I'll send you the link if you really
>need to go that route as you have to pull the thing apart. Anyway
>let me know if you can get to the bios.

I got to the BIOS days ago without having to open the case and reset
anything.  That's the first thing I tried to do, but had to search
the web to find out what key to hold down.  You're ahead of me so far
because I don't own a CF card.  I just never was a fan of them and
had no use for them due to the small storage compared to memory sticks, etc.

If you can boot to do, you should be able to run the CoCo emulator
right now if it's on the CF card, no?

Anyway, I see no reason why a 1g, or 4g, etc. CF card can't be used
and filled with DOS plus a bunch of other DOS-based emulators plus
their respective large library of .dsk images.  I have a lot of
TRS-80 emulators and so forth, and if the autoexec.bat could have a
menu that launches one of them, it can be a multi-emulator which I
think is way cool.  But... I'm aiming for the CoCo before anything
else.  The keyboard might have to be remapped somehow, but USB
keyboard support is automatic and the emulators might already work
right with them.