[Coco] CoCo emulation on a Compaq Internet Appliance?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Oct 27 23:04:38 EDT 2007

At 12:14 PM 10/23/2007, you wrote:
>Hmm the gold strip denoted "cardbusness". Hmmm didn't know that.
>Judging from the vintage of the hardware is almost definatly 16bit.
>Also the USB connectors are probably 1.1 only. No drama there as we
>are trying to run an emulator not Vista. Even the old PCMCIA
>standard supported ATA with is what were after really. Just need
>SOMETHING to boot off of, Although I've read people have had trouble
>with larger CF cards in the 4Gig range. Probably a bios issue. Again
>I can't see that being a real problem. The only limiting factor I'm
>seeing is real floppy support. USB ain't going to cut it. I'm really
>hoping the bridge set has a built in controller we can get to
>without pulling hair out. As soon as I get the thing and apply
>screwdriver I'll know more.
>
>-----

Joe, I found a site just now that might give us the info we need to
hack the IA-1 (Compaq Internet Appliance) to run as an emulated
CoCo.  I think the nickname for this unit is the "IA-1" if you're
Googling up stuff.
http://linux.boeldt.net/IA-1_Description.asp

What I know as of tonight is that any standard PC USB keyboard or
mouse will work right when you plug them in.  I haven't tried my USB
hard drive yet since the unit is pretty much stuck in MSN Companion
mode when you turn it on, and it insists on dialing out for a
connection.  It only has two toll free numbers it cycles through and
I haven't found a way to get it to just go into ATD mode for
connecting into a Windows dial-in mode.  Vista should allow a dial-in
connection and I was hoping that I could at least get the thing to
connect to the internet that way.  I don't have a real telephone line
anymore (I use broadband for my land line phone).

I ordered a PCMCIA to CF adaptor on Ebay pretty cheap but it's coming
from Hong Kong, so it may be up to a week before I get that.  You can
get a Lot of very cheap accessories from those Hong Kong powersellers
I've noticed, with cheap shipping.  Sometimes I wonder how it can be
cheaper than our own shipping in the US, but I'm not complaining.