[Coco] CoCo emulation on a Compaq Internet Appliance?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Oct 21 23:24:36 EDT 2007

At 10:42 PM 10/21/2007, you wrote:
>I had one of those. I used a 64 MB CF card as HD.
>Booted DOS, and loaded ... I believe it was JV's emulator.
>The lack of function keys (and some others) in the IR keyboard can
>be a factor, but ...
>Can be used, and takes a lot less room than an extra PC for
>emulation.... and old DOS games :-)
>
>Diego
>
>PS remember to setup the "BLASTER" variable in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file

Man, that is good news.  Why didn't you announce this to the group,
as it's an amazing trick and probably the coolest compact computer
device ever to pretend to be a CoCo.  This thing has only one cord
(the power cord).

The display is also 800x600 which makes it ideal.  If Keil's or JVC's
emulator can be reassembled to handle the USB ports or some kind of
CompactFlash-to-IDE adaptor, maybe more is possible.  I'm just
guessing at all this right now.  Anyway, with a larger CF card, maybe
even a 1g, 4g, or 8g, it can be filled with CoCo disk, tape, and ROM
Pak image with plenty to spare... or better yet... NitrOS-9 ?!  After
all, what hardware ports are needed anyway when the disks, tapes, and
ROM Paks are on the CF card...  ah, joysticks... and that's where
maybe USB support might be needed.  Other than that, it should make a
good self-contained CoCo box.

I might get with you when I obtain a CF card soon in case I can't get
the system to boot from it.  I see some BIOS settings for Drive A,
Drive C, and some IDE settines.

I tried to plug my USB mouse in the back, and it worked right then...
no driver problems or complaining.  I'm sure my USB keyboard would
work as well, which should have all of what Keil's emulator needs?

I'd rather put a small copy of Linux on it and play around first, but
for the CoCo emulation I'd like to try the VCC emulator if it will
run from Windows (CE?).  I think maybe because the model # starts
with CE that it might be running the small Windows CE version.  I'm
not sure what can be done with that.