[Coco] obscure programming languages was Re: books

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Nov 30 05:21:35 EST 2007

>Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 05:30:28 -0500
>From: "Rogelio Perea" <os9dude at gmail.com>
>
>I believe that C implementation under RSDOS was from Dugger's Systems and it
>was called "Small C"...

Humm.  Small C is the name of an old portable C subset that was ported
to several different machines.

>Color Pilot is a 'Pilot' implementation under RSDOS, haven't seen one for
>OS9 (at least on the CoCo)

RTSI.  On the other hand, I didn't know there was a rsdos version
around.

Pilot is an interesting little language, but it seems kinda limited.

>DL Logo is an excellent Logo environment for OS9, flies circles around the
>Tandy version done for RSDOS.

I somehow missed Logo completely, and I don't know a thing about it.

>Forth I believe was available from Microware once (80's) but the company

Never heard of a Microware Forth.  That would have been interesting.
There's a forth for OS-9 on rtsi, and D.L. Johnson (I think) had a
comercial forth interpter & compiler package for OS-9.

As long as you're being obscure, the iapl port on rtsi is a very well
done APL.  The CoCo 3's fast text-on-graphics capability makes it a
good fit for APL's unique character set.

>There were a few implementations of Forth done for RSDOS, at least
>one I have was freely available on Compuserve.

Yeah, there's one in the old Princeton archive on maltedmedia.

The mythical Microware packages I'm curious about were their FORTRAN
and COBOL compilers (why cobol on a real-time OS?  Fortran I can
see...)

>FLEX had other compilers available, I know this OS at least had the Small C
>from Dugger's mentioned above.

I'm very curious about FLEX but there apparently aren't any CoCo 3
friendly versions around.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA