[Coco] obscure programming languages was Re: books

Dean Leiber adit at 1stconnect.com
Fri Nov 30 16:06:02 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 2:21 AM, Willard Goosey wrote:

> Never heard of a Microware Forth.  That would have been interesting.
> There's a forth for OS-9 on rtsi, and D.L. Johnson (I think) had a
> comercial forth interpter & compiler package for OS-9.

The Docs for DL Johnson forth are up on maltedmedia. I think I gave
Boisy a copy of the Forth DSK image and it may be in the NitrOS9
stuff somewhere.

> As long as you're being obscure, the iapl port on rtsi is a very well
> done APL.  The CoCo 3's fast text-on-graphics capability makes it a
> good fit for APL's unique character set.
>
>> There were a few implementations of Forth done for RSDOS, at least
>> one I have was freely available on Compuserve.
>>
> Yeah, there's one in the old Princeton archive on maltedmedia.
>
> The mythical Microware packages I'm curious about were their FORTRAN
> and COBOL compilers (why cobol on a real-time OS?  Fortran I can
> see...)

I would love to get my hands on at least the Fortran package.
Remember that COBOL was big as a programming language for business at
one point (is it still?) so it does make sense esp. if porting an
application to OS-9.

Dean