[Coco] Lansford Mansion (and other graphic adventures)

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 3 00:16:43 EDT 2007

Phil wrote:
> Hi, all --
>
> My girlfriend and I have taken to playing some of the graphic adventure
> games released on L. Curtis Boyle's excellent site.  We've been having a
> great time and, generally speaking, doing rather well at it.  It's been
> a real treat to go back and play the games I could only read about in
> Rainbow as a child, like the excellent Caladuril: Flame of Light.
>
> Lansford Mansion, however, has got us completely stuck.  There are
> several puzzles we can't seem to get past, there's nothing about the
> game on the Internet, and attempts at manually inspecting the binary
> have proven fruitless.  I tried to contact one of the game's authors,
> but had no luck.  Does anyone have a walkthrough for the game, or
> remember it well enough to help?  Was there ever anything in Rainbow?
>
> Also, while I'm at it:
>
> The authors of the Mark Data games (Bob Withers and Stephen O'Dea) were
> kind enough to make his stuff available on Bob's old website,
> ruffboy.com.  Unfortunately, it seems the site has been down for a
> while.  I've found sources for most of the games, but haven't been able
> to track down Black Sanctum or Sea Search.  I tried retrieving the .bin
> files from Archive.org, but when I try to run them, they fail with an
> ?IE error.  Does anyone have any suggestions for where I might get
> working DSK or BIN images of the games in question?  (I do have a
> text-only copy of Black Sanctum but these games are a lot more fun with
> the graphics.)
>
> For the record, though it's in storage at my parents' house, I still own
> the real hardware!  I miss the silent beauty of my Cocos (2 and 3), but
> am glad that people are still keeping a very special computing platform
> alive.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> (first post to the list, so please be kind...!)
>
> --

Hi Phil,

  Hope you enjoy the list and all of the Coco knowledge available here.

  The disappearance of Bob Withers' site is a great loss to the Coco
community. The archive.org copy is an incomplete one (source code
missing) and clearly there are corrupted files.
  Black Sanctum is a case in point of a corrupted Coco file. It is one
byte short and should end with a $00 not $1C as it does. That's why you
have the IE error.

  If you have the tools to correct the file by adding the missing byte,
it will run. If you don't have the tools, I can e-mail you the corrected
file.

  Keep in mind that the file on the site, while it loads from a disk,
makes saves to tape. I might be able to supply a modified version that
makes saves to disk. I have to check my records.

  I did not look at Sea Search and don't know if it is missing the end
of the file as well.