[Coco] Lansford Mansion (and other graphic adventures)

Phil phil.salathe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 01:08:31 EDT 2007

Robert,

Thanks so much for your welcome, and for your help: I was able to
open the binaries for Black Sanctum and Sea Search in a hex editor,
append $00 to the end, and now they load!  I knew that the IE error
meant that there was some sort of end-of-file problem, but I didn't
know exactly what to look for or how to fix it, so I'm very grateful
for your help.

I'm hopeful that the binaries will be otherwise uncorrupted -- of the
four Mark Data games I've played, only Shenanigans had problems
(crashing at the very end of the game, i.e. "Sean").  As for saving
to disk rather than tape, we're able to use emulator savestates, so I
think we're OK.  However, if I ever get these games up and running on
real hardware, I'd love to avail myself of your patch.

For what it's worth, these are the adventure games we've played so
far, completing all of them but Lansford Mansion:

Blackbeard's Island
Caladuril Flame of Light (an amazing technical feat, IMHO)
Calixto Island (probably my favorite of the Mark Data games so far)
Lansford Mansion (sigh)
Martian Crypt
Shenanigans
Trekboer
Vortex Factor

Other than the Mark Data games, what other graphic adventures should
we seek out?  Is there a complete list floating around?  I know that
To Preserve Quandic has a good reputation, but I can't get the ZIP
file on L. Curtis Boyle's site to open, alas.  The only other ones I
can think of are Syzygy, Dallas Quest, and Sands of Egypt, all of
which I hope to play someday.  Of course there are a couple dozen
pure text adventures too, though we do like having the visual
feedback.

I've toyed with the idea of doing some sort of "Coco adventure games
blog"...all of them have their own special character, and deserve to
have their craftsmanship and quirks commemorated.  Besides, the world
needs to be reminded of things like the amazing, hilarious Van Halen
hint near the end of Martian Crypt!

Best,
Phil