[Coco] Shipping and packaging, was Re: [Color Computer] eBay seller gustavus1

tonym tonym at compusource.net
Sun Nov 11 23:11:48 EST 2007

Roger, I understand your point completely, but that wasn't my main point.

My main point, is that NO eBay seller in their right mind will send a package, that
is not shipped using an online traceable method. It is clearly stated in the eBay and
PayPal policies.

If there is a dispute, the seller MUST provide a website-trackable tracking number.
If the seller does NOT have one, the seller automatically loses the dispute.
No ifs, no ands, and no buts. You can have receipts, photos, whatever you want. If you cannot
provide a website link, and a corresponding tracking number, dispute is closed, and settled
in favor of the buyer.

I tell you this from experience, and that is why I will NEVER send ANYTHING without
a tracking number. Going with that, you can't get a tracking number on anything less
than Parcel Post, last time I checked at the USPS. That means you can't stuff something
into an envelope, and send as postage with a tracking number, nor even first class postage
with a tracking number. You do not have a tracking number option for those cheap methods.

This is why in my disclaimer, it say everything goes with a tracking number. Don't like it? Don't bid - simple!

I had one guy, who was a TOTAL jerk, filed a dispute saying he never received anything, and win
because I didn't use a trackable method. He later called me and threw it in my face that he received
the package, and got it for free, and to kiss his *ss. Think I ever used First Class Mail again?

So, moral of the story: You'd be hard-pressed to find an eBay seller who will simply use regular postage
to send something - a seller has no recourse, because it's not trackable.

As to UPS package treatment, I can;t vouch for their procedures, but i can vouch for all the damaged
stuff I've received, and has been received that I have sent. for me, I avoid UPS like the plague.

At the office, the joke is that UPS stands for "Unreliable Parcel Service," "Ur Package Sucks,"
"Ur Package Squashed," etc...  :)   But please, don't take that personally. I would also wager that
different parts of the country get different levels of service, depending on the demographics of the area,
and the corresponding employees available for hire.

As to the packing materials and packaging, as I quoted earlier, it's right on the eBay policies that a seller
can charge for packaging and packing materials. Now, if you want to follow theletter of the law, it should be
put under a "handling" charge, but I normally only charge $2-3. most of the time, I utilize used boxes, so
I don't charge for a box. I put in enough to cover any packing peanuts and bubble-wrap that is used, again usually
only a couple dollars. I don't over-charge on shipping to recoup ebay or paypal fees, because those are the costs
of doing business on eBay. i don't appreciate when it's done to me, so I don't do it to others.

The ONLY instances I have ever had anyone complain on the shipping charges, is when i have had to go to
outside companies like PakMail, for packing and shipping. When I must do this, I announce it in the listing, so
they are aware that there WILL be a markup, and that they will NOT get the same rate as if they just looked
at USPS.COM or UPS.COM. Same option applies to people looking at those listings: Don't like it? Move along....

Tony