[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Dan Olson dano at agora.rdrop.com
Sat May 5 23:40:57 EDT 2007

> When I look at the what linux was like 5 years ago and compare it to
> today I think that it's evovling the way I would like very nicely.

I realize I'm a little slow on my replies.  I really have mixed feelings
on the way Linux has gone over the past 5 or so years.  About a year ago I
replaced my main system (which serves as a server and workstation of
sorts) with a used Pentium II running Debian.  I have used only Slackware
up until this point.  The system basically was intended to serve as host
for a couple X-terms as well as something I could telnet to with even
older machines, and e-mail/web usage locally.  I was rather dissapointed
with the amount of bloat just to get this done, my old slackware machine
ran on a dual Pentium 100 w/ 64M of ram doing the same thing.  The Debian
install lacked some basic niceaties (sp) like a video player, despite the
extra amount of harddrive space taken over vs. the 500M drive holding
everything on the old machine.  Don't get me wrong, I've never had to
reboot the system and it's still working great on pretty old hardware.
On the other hand, I could *never* get things to compile and run without
help, it seems like that problem has been solved anymore.  I'm still
fighting figuring out how to enable telnet and ftp in Debian, this stuff
used to be pretty simple (not to mentioned enabled by default) in the
past.

 	Dan