[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Wed May 2 17:30:07 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:06:33AM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 10:24 PM 5/1/2007, you wrote:
> >Now if Linux would figure out how to provide & install drivers as easy
> >as Windows & Mac.  The last time I tried Linux on a Shuttle SN85G4V3
> >with an old Nvidia 5500 agp.  The instructions: go to the web site and
> >get it.  Instructions on web site: just compile it & install. Then it
> >needed other bits that didn't exist. Around that time the GUI
> >disappeared to the command prompt. The error message basically said to
> >do a reinstall.  That ended that Linux attempt.  I forget which distro
> >it was.
>
> From the responses I get sometimes, I think some people must love
> tinkering with the OS instead of actually using it.  I admit, it
> looks like a field day for keyboard techies, and I'm not denying
> being one, but I just need it to work without having to build it
> myself.  I think there's just way too many distros of "Linux",
> anyway.  I quoted the word because everybody calls their version
> Linux but yet they want to claim that it's different and better than
> other distros. And, if they Are that different, then Linux will never
> evolve the way we would like it to.  My 2 cents.

When I look at the what linux was like 5 years ago and compare it to
today I think that it's evovling the way I would like very nicely.

I may also be an exception in that I would rather use my computer to
run applications on rather then just putter with the OS. As an example
I have a number of machines that have been up and running for over 6
months. There's the file server, the firewall which also act as a mail
relay which in it's better then 6 months of uptime has delivered over
500,000 emails while running a proxy for my web browsing needs. I've
also got a webserver that has been handing out over a gig of webpages
a day for that time. Not bad for machines that cost me less then $500
each and are running an OS and applications that I downloaded for
free!! With those types of load there's no time for puttering with the
os. I set up the applications and let them do their thing.

I also rarely ever reboot my workstation or do anything to or with the
OS.

Frank