[Coco] Rma/Rlink for Windows

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Jun 4 14:05:26 EDT 2007

At 09:21 AM 6/4/2007, you wrote:
In giving Robert Turbo C++, it was my expectation that he would take
>the ball and run with it.  My suggestion to Robert to use Borland
>Turbo C++ as the development environment was as much for expediency
>as for consistency.  With the limited time that I did devote to
>getting ToolShed running under Windows, I was able to do so rather
>easily with Turbo C++.  Robert is having some difficulty however.
>I'm not sure why.

That's what we're doing.  But, I've had the same difficulties with
the Rma/Rlink source code.  I got nothing but errors on the first
build attempt, the second, and the 20th.  Maybe it's the way it's
coded, I dunno.  Being that it's C++ code, I'm not sure if it's
totally portable or not, but since stdin/stdout/fileio should work
the same under both platforms, I see no reason why the source can't
build and run on the first time if it's set up for the Turbo IDE,
etc.  Both RMA and Rlink are command-line tools, and no Windows API
functions should be needed unless for maybe GetEnvironmentVariable or
GetEnvironmentStrings.

Another thing is that a run-time DLL is required on Robert's builds,
and mine as well.  I think it's CC3270.DLL or something like
that.  Rlink still locks up.

>Sounds like some old fashioned sleuthing is in order.  It shouldn't
>be hard for a Windows programmer/guru to use a debugger and figure
>out what's going on.

That's what we're doing, but I thought it would help to ask the
creators of those tools in the meantime :)  Heck, I'm having fun with
it because I know in the end that it'll be a beauti-mous thing to see
the Rainbow IDE crunch down an RMA project and send it off to a
NitrOS-9 disk ready to run.  Nothing comes without hard work, though.

--
Roger Taylor