[Coco] Rma/Rlink for Windows

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Jun 4 10:21:58 EDT 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> To Boisy and Tim,
>
> Robert and I have had no luck so far in getting Rlink to run
> without locking up Windows.  This is a command-line tool that
> should really only be using stdlib calls for stdin/stdout/fileio.
> I don't see any other reason any other Win32 API routines should be
> needed, or why an external Borland DLL is required.

Roger,

Windows compatibility with ToolShed has always been at most, a second
tier priority for Tim and I.  We both use Macs, and since the Linux
development tools are so similar (in fact, the same), we've been able
to support that platform with very minimal effort.

In giving Robert Turbo C++, it was my expectation that he would take
the ball and run with it.  My suggestion to Robert to use Borland
Turbo C++ as the development environment was as much for expediency
as for consistency.  With the limited time that I did devote to
getting ToolShed running under Windows, I was able to do so rather
easily with Turbo C++.  Robert is having some difficulty however.
I'm not sure why.

> RMA runs fine and generates object files that appear to be valid
> when I've examined them using a hex editor.  You can see the F$Fork
> references and other OS-9 calls embedded in the code.  Something in
> Rlink is definately not Windows friendly and should be removed if
> possible.

Sounds like some old fashioned sleuthing is in order.  It shouldn't
be hard for a Windows programmer/guru to use a debugger and figure
out what's going on.

Boisy