[Coco] Rma/Rlink for Windows

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Jun 4 16:43:27 EDT 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 09:21 AM 6/4/2007, you wrote:
> In giving Robert Turbo C++, it was my expectation that he would take
>> the ball and run with it.  My suggestion to Robert to use Borland
>> Turbo C++ as the development environment was as much for expediency
>> as for consistency.  With the limited time that I did devote to
>> getting ToolShed running under Windows, I was able to do so rather
>> easily with Turbo C++.  Robert is having some difficulty however.
>> I'm not sure why.
>
> That's what we're doing.  But, I've had the same difficulties with
> the Rma/Rlink source code.  I got nothing but errors on the first
> build attempt, the second, and the 20th.  Maybe it's the way it's
> coded, I dunno.  Being that it's C++ code, I'm not sure if it's
> totally portable or not, but since stdin/stdout/fileio should work
> the same under both platforms, I see no reason why the source can't
> build and run on the first time if it's set up for the Turbo IDE,
> etc.  Both RMA and Rlink are command-line tools, and no Windows API
> functions should be needed unless for maybe GetEnvironmentVariable
> or GetEnvironmentStrings.
>
> Another thing is that a run-time DLL is required on Robert's
> builds, and mine as well.  I think it's CC3270.DLL or something
> like that.  Rlink still locks up.

The CC3270.DLL dependency is due to "Use RunTime Library" being
checked in the options for the executables.  I've turned this off and
committed the project files so this won't be an issue any longer.

There was an issue with rlink where malloc of zero bytes was being
done.  I've added code to check for this condition and prevent it
from happening.  As a result, rlink now creates a successful OS-9
module with the small test .r file that I built.   I don't see it
locking up with the test case I used.

I committed the changes to CVS, so they are available.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
Email: boisy at boisypitre.com
Web: http://www.boisypitre.com/