[Coco] Fedora Core 6 on a M305CRV Gateway laptop

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Tue Jul 24 16:27:41 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:

>>> Most linksys cards are using the Atheros chipset, and that is
>>> supported by native linux drivers quite well.  Its the broadcom radio
>>> corp chipsets that are the bad boys.
>>
>> I happen to have a broadcom stuck in this Dell of mine. Good thing
>> there is an ndiswrapper... :)
>>
>> Speaking of Linksys, I just put one in to my wife's computer. Had to
>> ndiswrapper that one as well.
>>
>> Both computers running Ubuntu, although she's not upgraded to
>> Feisty... Yet!
>

> Ok, I think this is the page showing all of the compatible devices, with
> links to the Windows drivers.  I also need to learn how to actually get
> ndiswrapper to do what it's supposed to do without me having to compile
> anything myself or rebuild the kernel. :)
>
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,list_b/
>

> Many to the rescue again?  :)

Ubuntu has a package for ndiswrapper (actually called
ndiswrapper-utils). I prefer to compile it for myself, though, because
their version is a bit outdated.

It easy to compile ndiswrapper, though:

$ make
$ sudo make install

The next part is tricky because it depends on the Windows drivers you
are using. For me it was a:

$ sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
$ sudo ndiswrapper -m

Your *.inf file will obviously be different unless you are using the
same card (or make, I guess) as me.

Depending on how your distro does things (this applies to Edgy, but not
Feisty), you may have to tell ndiswrapper a little more (you don't have
to use gedit... I don't):

$ sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper

Change the one line in that file to read:

alias eth1 ndiswrapper

Note that this may be different from how your distro handles things!

Anyway, now it's time to load the ndiswrapper module:

$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

So, your wireless should now work! There maybe a few other things that
you need to do, but you should at least have your wireless driver
working now.

Obviously, you Fedora heads out there can correct anything that will
probably be wrong. ;)

-M.