[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 48, Issue 39

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 23 16:34:58 EDT 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007, Paul Fitch wrote:
>> Message: 13
>> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:06:57 -0400
>> From: Stephen Castello <zootzoot at cfl.rr.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Coco] xmodem padding
>> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:22:36 -0400, "Paul Fitch"
>> <pfitchjr at bellsouth.net> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
>>
>> out:
>> >Is there an OS9/6809/6309 tool to strip off the extra
>>
>> padding that gets
>>
>> >stuck to the ends executable files?
>>
>> Other than doing:
>> load filename
>> save filename
>>
>> I don't know of any.
>>
>> Stephen
>> --
>
>Stephen, thanks.  I forgot all about that.
>
>FYI, once again I was not very explicit in my question.  The problem I'm
>having is from some OS9 files obtained from the RTSI site.  Now all of these
>files are zipped, AR'd, lha'd, etc...  But, some of the executables have
>padding on them which makes them drop errors when they are used.
>
>Robert, I actually did try Ded first, but was unsure how to determine where
>the file was actually supposed to end.

For an os9 file, the file size is listed in the header, check your os9 docs
cuz I don't recall if it includes the 3 byte crc checksum on the end or not.

Here is a trick though, have dEd, if you are looking at an os9boot file that
won't, link to each file in turn, which should show you the files actual
length.

Another thought and even considerably faster if you have a copy of my 'vfy' is
to use the -s option to split the (merged with garbage) file, and the saved
file will be the correct length.  But rename the src file first to something
throwaway so when vfy writes out the correct one it won't have to fight with
a file exists error.  It will write a correct file as output for every module
it finds in the src file.

Lots of ways to skin that cat once you know what its breeding history is, like
in this case the magic 3 letters are 'os9' & 'vfy'.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)