[Coco] CCASM for Linux - and remote desktop

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Jul 23 13:00:36 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:28:56PM +0100, Manny wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:

> >Try 'yum install proftpd'?  I doubt if it is installed by default
> >-- the 'everything' install disappeared a while back, over many
> >objections...
>
> Does Fedora have a list of packages that you can search? Both Debian and
> Ubuntu has it, and it's proved valuable to me since I started using
> them. <http://packages.ubuntu.com/>

'yum list' seems to generate a lot of output.  'yum search' can be
useful as well.  There is a lot more yum "foo", but I don't know it
super well.

> >Too bad you are using gnome -- the kde browser supports "smb://" urls.
> >So you could just share a directory on the windows box and on the
> >linux side you could open konqueror and access
> >
> >	smb://Roger's Windows Box/ccasm development/linux
> >
> >or whatever.  But, I digress...
>
> He seems to be having trouble with Samba. It worked out of the box for
> me, so I have almost no experience setting Samba up. :P

The KDE stuff above should not require any configuration.  Use of
'smbclient' should not either, although it is more arcane (kinda
like ftp)...

Hth!  If anyone reading this is feeling like posting flamebait, luring
me into a reply, and then blaming the whole thing on me...just say
no. :-)

John
--
John W. Linville