[Coco] CCASM for Linux - and remote desktop

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Mon Jul 23 11:28:56 EDT 2007

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 09:55:47AM +0100, Manny wrote:
>> Roger Taylor wrote:
>
>>> Manny, I've been sitting here an hour trying to find any built-in ftp
>>> servers in the Fedora Core 6 distro I have.  Why in the world these
>>> tools are not in the start menus is way beyond me.  That's my big pet
>>> peeve right now, how Red Hat 6 had so much in the menus, but FC appears
>>> to have trimmed a lot out.
>> Would anyone that runs Fedora be able to help out here? I would like to
>> see him run ProFTPd. I'm sure there is a package for it because I used
>> to run it when I ran RedHat 6.x.
>
> Try 'yum install proftpd'?  I doubt if it is installed by default
> -- the 'everything' install disappeared a while back, over many
> objections...

Does Fedora have a list of packages that you can search? Both Debian and
Ubuntu has it, and it's proved valuable to me since I started using
them. <http://packages.ubuntu.com/>

> Too bad you are using gnome -- the kde browser supports "smb://" urls.
> So you could just share a directory on the windows box and on the
> linux side you could open konqueror and access
>
> 	smb://Roger's Windows Box/ccasm development/linux
>
> or whatever.  But, I digress...

He seems to be having trouble with Samba. It worked out of the box for
me, so I have almost no experience setting Samba up. :P

>> If worse comes to worse, you can always find an FTP solution for your
>> Windows box, and have the Linux box login to it's FTP server.
>
> Wow...this just seems so wrong... :-)

I know, I know. I'm not that familiar with Fedora or RedHat, anymore.
But, like I said, if worse comes to worse... ;)

-M.