[Coco] CCASM for Linux - and remote desktop

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Mon Jul 23 16:25:15 EDT 2007

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:28:56PM +0100, Manny wrote:
>> John W. Linville wrote:

>> Does Fedora have a list of packages that you can search? Both Debian and
>> Ubuntu has it, and it's proved valuable to me since I started using
>> them. <http://packages.ubuntu.com/>
>
> 'yum list' seems to generate a lot of output.  'yum search' can be
> useful as well.  There is a lot more yum "foo", but I don't know it
> super well.

Yeah, Debian and Ubuntu have "apt-cache search foo", but I was hoping
for more of a web interface so I could work my way through Fedora's RPM
database.

>>> Too bad you are using gnome -- the kde browser supports "smb://" urls.
>>> So you could just share a directory on the windows box and on the
>>> linux side you could open konqueror and access
>>>
>>> 	smb://Roger's Windows Box/ccasm development/linux
>>>
>>> or whatever.  But, I digress...
>> He seems to be having trouble with Samba. It worked out of the box for
>> me, so I have almost no experience setting Samba up. :P

I should add to something to that. I never needed Samba until I moved
into my inlaw's house. Now that I'm back out of there, I have no need
for it again. :)

> The KDE stuff above should not require any configuration.  Use of
> 'smbclient' should not either, although it is more arcane (kinda
> like ftp)...

Well, like I said, since I switched to Ubuntu Dapper (then Edgy and now
Feisty) from Debian testing, Samba has been working without any effort
from myself. Kinda nice considering that back a few years ago, I worked
on getting Samba to work for a few days than gave up. There was probably
something *really* simple I was overlooking... :)

-M.