[Coco] Hex Star... here we go again.

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 18:26:31 EDT 2007

On 7/14/07, Hex Star <hexstar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/14/07, wdg3rd at comcast.net <wdg3rd at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I'm sorry, Dennis, but I'm getting a bit tired of this young
> > schmuck.  He's been a file suck for too damned long in too many
> places.  The
> > Zero Aggression Principle means that I can't do anything serious about
> it
> > unless he actually shows up in my yard (and such action is extremely
> > forbidden under New Jersey statutes, but I have no respect for those, as
> _I_
> > didn't vote for them or for any legislator stupid enough to ban
> > self-defense).
> >
> I've been a file suck?! What the heck is wrong with you?! If I do take
> files I give them back promptly on my server, my server is consuming many
> gigs of bandwidth monthly and I am gaining no money from it, it is purely
> for the community and you have the nerve to continue to insult me in
> multiple threads?! Please STOP this harassment promptly.

If anything Hex Star, you have brought this upon yourself. The CoCo
community has been going on for YEARS and has managed to police & sustain
itself within the sensible boundaries of respect between the members and
this includes the copyright issues - like it or not that's how the song
goes.

Before you there have been others that have stated precisely what you note
as in "if I do take
files I give them back". What the heck is that? did anyone ASK you to step
up and become the one-true software repository for the CoCo community? has
anyone in the Apple, Commodore, Atari & TI groups requested you to play FTP
host for their files & info?.

Your attitude since you showed up in this particular list and your blunt
gotta-have-it philosophy has done nothing but cast a shadow on just how
sincere your intentions are... first you blast off uncalled for posts about
Ira on his decision to stop distributing the files he has so diligently
worked for to build up his archive, then your eagerly jump into the Rainbow
magazines project "volunteering" again your hosting services - ok, maybe you
are indeed well intentioned but with such moves you put at risk the hard
work YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT from other long time fellows in this community.
Thanks but NO thanks Hex Star.

I suggest you to back off. Stop playing the part of the vintage enthusiast
with the self-appointed power to be the one saving FTP service for the CoCo
comunity. You are not. You will be not. Th information you distribute is
available in many other long established venues, and if it not, then it may
be that some legal hurdle has to be cleared out first. Too bad for us the
community if someone does not want his/her work freely distributable but to
each its own, have to respect that.

If you're really a vintage hardware/software enthusiast, there are FAR
better ways to show your support. Contribute to the community. Anyone can
set up an FTP server. I can do it, other people here can also do it. But to
contribute with something of INTEREST to the community, and in specific to
the CoCo community, that's a different animal, one for which you have to
WORK at.

You should have gained the respect and trust from the members of this group.
Your actions since you 'stepped in' have done nothing but the contrary.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-