[Coco] running BASIC in RAM (was "Coco Questions")

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Jul 15 04:05:25 EDT 2007

>From: "Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com>
>Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:43:04 -0700
>
>I'm doing a little mailbox cleaning and I came across this
>post from Aaron Banerjee, and would like to know why
>someone would want to put their CoCo in all RAM mode?

Um, that's a CoCo 1 & 2 thing, and I've always been a CoCo 3 guy, (and
the CoCo 3 always runs in all RAM mode) but if I remember right it's
mainly to enable one to modify the ROM image.

The one use I remember is from Rainbow:  A rather extensive patch set
providing expanded get/put operations.

I'm not sure why else you'd need to run a CoCo in all RAM.  On other
machines it could be a speed issue, ROMs are notoriously slow, but the
CoCo is *synchronous* so the ROM has to be able to keep up with the
CPU.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA