[Coco] NitrOS-9 Web Site

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Tue Jan 30 10:23:00 EST 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 29 January 2007 21:07, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>>I've been getting emails about the absence of the NitrOS-9 website,
>>CVS repository and mailing list.  I thought I would give an update:
>
> Where is the site actually located?
>
>>Alan DeKok has been hosting the site for a number of years.
>>Recently, he moved to California, and I haven't been in touch with
>>him since.  Knowing Alan, he's probably busy and just hasn't had time
>>to see about maintaining the site.  My feeling is that he shouldn't
>>be burdened any longer by this obligation, and I commend him for
>>doing it for these years without any compensation.
>>
>>My feeling is that the NitrOS-9 Project should be moved to
>>SourceForge.  Long ago it was hosted there, and I've been
>>contemplating on and off about putting it there.  The reasons are
>>obvious:  uptime, availability of maliing lists, bug tracking
>>features.  It just makes sense to do it there.
>
> no No NO please no Boisy, the reasons are numerous indeed starting with a
> lack of WORKING uptime and availability.  I have personally fought with
> sourceforge's cvs for as long as 3 days before I was able to to do a cvs
> up -dP on the emc2 code base.  Even the mailing list is spotty, I've had
> 4 messages in a row just fall into a black hole instead of being relayed
> to the other list subscribers or back to me.  When Nitros9 was on
> sourceforge before, I was only able to gain access once, the rest of the
> time it couldn't find my password or my key.  One of the reasons I gave
> up trying.
>
> Sourceforge has much bigger eyes than stomach and they have not scaled up
> the hardware to match the traffic.  Several projects have been moved off

Actually, SourceForge has some of the most hard-core hardware on the planet,
and a LOT of it (their data center has got to look like freakin' NASA :) ).
Its problem is just its absurd popularity--they've got what, a hundred-fifty
_thousand_ committing users? None of the other "normal" code hosting providers
could handle the kind of use SF handles every day, and they deserve a lot of
credit for managing to keep up as well as they have.

Anyway, I have another suggestion: Google Code Project Hosting, located at
<http://code.google.com/hosting/>. The trick is that they have Subversion
instead of CVS, but it's easy to convert a CVS repository to svn (which is
basically a better CVS, allowing things like file renaming and directory moves).

[snip]