[Coco] NitrOS-9 Web Site

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 09:51:03 EST 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 07:45, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>On Jan 29, 2007, at 9:26 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
>> time it couldn't find my password or my key.  One of the reasons I
>> gave
>> up trying.
>
>Gene,
>
>I cannot believe SF is this bad.  Granted, I don't use it that much
>lately, but it hosts a myriad of open source projects; however, it
>worked well for me before when we used it to host other projects.
>I've never had issues with SF.  The ONLY downside that I see with
>using it as a host for NitrOS-9 and ToolShed is that I don't have
>direct access to the repository to make structural changes.  Those
>requests must be submitted and acted upon by someone else.

If you haven't been involved with a fast moving project at sourceforge for
several years, I could understand.  But apparently cvs doesn't scale well
or something, with the end result being their effective uptime for any
one project being measured in minutes per day, and if you don't hit that
minute, tough.

>> Sourceforge has much bigger eyes than stomach and they have not
>> scaled up
>> the hardware to match the traffic.  Several projects have been
>> moved off
>> it in the last year because the developers got tired of no access for
>> hours or days at a time.  emc being one, has moved to linuxcnc.com,
>> maintained by Sherline, one of the companies whose dog is in that
>> fight
>> and its a much better environment.  3 days to do an update on HEAD at
>> sourceforge vs a minute:30 or so since they've moved to the sherline
>> site. list postings come back on my next mail suck, 90 seconds.  emc2
>> development is now progressing at at least 100 times its former
>> speeds,
>> with the core coders often submitting a combined total of 50 to nearly
>> 100 patches a day.  I get an automaticly generated email for every
>> patch
>> submitted so its easy to count.
>
>Given the S-L-O-W pace of NitrOS-9 development, I don't think that
>this is going to matter much.  Honestly, I am pretty much the only
>person who does anything on the project anymore, and even that's
>become a rare event.  I would be more inclined to give pause if there
>were dozens of active developers on this project, but that is
>certainly not the case.

That's true of course.

>> If sourceforge would get some bigger iron hardware, and more of
>> them so it
>> could scale up to the level of participation and still function I
>> wouldn't have any problems, but I've always had a feeling of impending
>> doom simply because in the open source arena, they represent the
>> single
>> biggest point of failure on the planet.
>>
>> There has got to be a better way, even if we have to look at
>> commercials
>> while accessing it.
>
>.
>I'll give you the bottom line on this: my time is being increasingly
>consumed by other commitments.  SF has all of the tools for source
>control and project collaboration, it's free, and has a large
>exposure.  I'm not taking the time to set up a mail server, CVS
>server, bug reporting, and then maintaining them all.  No way.  The
>less of my time this eats up, the better.  So SF it is.

One does have to make a living, and this certainly is only a labor of
love, I can't argue that point.

But when you have to setup a cron job to hit them at hourly intervals and
walk away for 3 days just to bring your HEAD copy of emc2 up to date, and
the developers are doing the same with their commits according to one of
them, then it was time to find another place.  Sherline already had a web
page being served on some decent iron so adding cvs to it was their
contribution.  I've not been bounced since.

>I got an email from Alan this morning -- he's in France looking for
>housing.  His server is down and the guy who's keeping it going for
>him is out of touch.  As soon as that can be rectified, I will get
>the CVS repositories off there and have them placed on SF.

Alan sure does get around.

When you do get it moved, let us all know please.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)