[Coco] NitrOS-9 Web Site

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue Jan 30 07:45:44 EST 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 9:26 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> no No NO please no Boisy, the reasons are numerous indeed starting
> with a
> lack of WORKING uptime and availability.  I have personally fought
> with
> sourceforge's cvs for as long as 3 days before I was able to to do
> a cvs
> up -dP on the emc2 code base.  Even the mailing list is spotty,
> I've had
> 4 messages in a row just fall into a black hole instead of being
> relayed
> to the other list subscribers or back to me.  When Nitros9 was on
> sourceforge before, I was only able to gain access once, the rest
> of the
> time it couldn't find my password or my key.  One of the reasons I
> gave
> up trying.

Gene,

I cannot believe SF is this bad.  Granted, I don't use it that much
lately, but it hosts a myriad of open source projects; however, it
worked well for me before when we used it to host other projects.
I've never had issues with SF.  The ONLY downside that I see with
using it as a host for NitrOS-9 and ToolShed is that I don't have
direct access to the repository to make structural changes.  Those
requests must be submitted and acted upon by someone else.

> Sourceforge has much bigger eyes than stomach and they have not
> scaled up
> the hardware to match the traffic.  Several projects have been
> moved off
> it in the last year because the developers got tired of no access for
> hours or days at a time.  emc being one, has moved to linuxcnc.com,
> maintained by Sherline, one of the companies whose dog is in that
> fight
> and its a much better environment.  3 days to do an update on HEAD at
> sourceforge vs a minute:30 or so since they've moved to the sherline
> site. list postings come back on my next mail suck, 90 seconds.  emc2
> development is now progressing at at least 100 times its former
> speeds,
> with the core coders often submitting a combined total of 50 to nearly
> 100 patches a day.  I get an automaticly generated email for every
> patch
> submitted so its easy to count.

Given the S-L-O-W pace of NitrOS-9 development, I don't think that
this is going to matter much.  Honestly, I am pretty much the only
person who does anything on the project anymore, and even that's
become a rare event.  I would be more inclined to give pause if there
were dozens of active developers on this project, but that is
certainly not the case.

> If sourceforge would get some bigger iron hardware, and more of
> them so it
> could scale up to the level of participation and still function I
> wouldn't have any problems, but I've always had a feeling of impending
> doom simply because in the open source arena, they represent the
> single
> biggest point of failure on the planet.
>
> There has got to be a better way, even if we have to look at
> commercials
> while accessing it.
.
I'll give you the bottom line on this: my time is being increasingly
consumed by other commitments.  SF has all of the tools for source
control and project collaboration, it's free, and has a large
exposure.  I'm not taking the time to set up a mail server, CVS
server, bug reporting, and then maintaining them all.  No way.  The
less of my time this eats up, the better.  So SF it is.

I got an email from Alan this morning -- he's in France looking for
housing.  His server is down and the guy who's keeping it going for
him is out of touch.  As soon as that can be rectified, I will get
the CVS repositories off there and have the placed on SF.