[Coco] NitrOS-9 Web Site

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 29 22:26:42 EST 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 21:07, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>I've been getting emails about the absence of the NitrOS-9 website,
>CVS repository and mailing list.  I thought I would give an update:

Where is the site actually located?

>Alan DeKok has been hosting the site for a number of years.
>Recently, he moved to California, and I haven't been in touch with
>him since.  Knowing Alan, he's probably busy and just hasn't had time
>to see about maintaining the site.  My feeling is that he shouldn't
>be burdened any longer by this obligation, and I commend him for
>doing it for these years without any compensation.
>
>My feeling is that the NitrOS-9 Project should be moved to
>SourceForge.  Long ago it was hosted there, and I've been
>contemplating on and off about putting it there.  The reasons are
>obvious:  uptime, availability of maliing lists, bug tracking
>features.  It just makes sense to do it there.

no No NO please no Boisy, the reasons are numerous indeed starting with a
lack of WORKING uptime and availability.  I have personally fought with
sourceforge's cvs for as long as 3 days before I was able to to do a cvs
up -dP on the emc2 code base.  Even the mailing list is spotty, I've had
4 messages in a row just fall into a black hole instead of being relayed
to the other list subscribers or back to me.  When Nitros9 was on
sourceforge before, I was only able to gain access once, the rest of the
time it couldn't find my password or my key.  One of the reasons I gave
up trying.

Sourceforge has much bigger eyes than stomach and they have not scaled up
the hardware to match the traffic.  Several projects have been moved off
it in the last year because the developers got tired of no access for
hours or days at a time.  emc being one, has moved to linuxcnc.com,
maintained by Sherline, one of the companies whose dog is in that fight
and its a much better environment.  3 days to do an update on HEAD at
sourceforge vs a minute:30 or so since they've moved to the sherline
site. list postings come back on my next mail suck, 90 seconds.  emc2
development is now progressing at at least 100 times its former speeds,
with the core coders often submitting a combined total of 50 to nearly
100 patches a day.  I get an automaticly generated email for every patch
submitted so its easy to count.

If sourceforge would get some bigger iron hardware, and more of them so it
could scale up to the level of participation and still function I
wouldn't have any problems, but I've always had a feeling of impending
doom simply because in the open source arena, they represent the single
biggest point of failure on the planet.

There has got to be a better way, even if we have to look at commercials
while accessing it.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene