[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Jan 27 22:47:00 EST 2007

On 27 Jan 2007 at 18:40, Dan Olson wrote:

> > There's no reason why we can't design "for the future" to some
> > degree. Capacities are always going to increase, and prices are
> > always going to decrease - that's the beauty of our chosen
> > profession/hobby!
>
> While I'm probably not all that interested in buying a "new" CoCo, I
> have to admit that designing for the future really isn't a bad idea.
> While I can't speak for the CoCo specificly, I've seen other systems
> where an upgrade (memory expansion, high res or 80 col video) was made
> in small numbers years ago but the software support is lacking.  Now
> that these devices are included in the emulator, more programmers are
> taking advantage of them.  That can be extended to new hardware, I
> suppose.  If everyone could agree on a spec, that could be added to
> emulators, when the hardware finally gets built, there's already
> software support for it.

****************

Dan

Before we run we need to walk first. First step is to get say a Coco1/2 /or 3 functional in a
FPGA developemnt board. All the other added features and expansion are niceties but
getting something to work with existing software and peripheral is of more concern.

> While I'm on the subject, call me crazy, but if I were building new
> hardware, even with FPGAs, I'd want a bus, with a video card, I/O
> card, mass storage card, etc.  I know it would cost more, but I just
> like having the option of adding/upgrading hardware this way.  Plus
> you could use many small FPGAs instead of one large one :)

*************
I would stoop that low to say crazy. Concerned yes. Single versus multiple FPGAs is a
debate that can later be discussed. Right now the main concern is getting certain pieces
coded in HDL before we are concerned with what goes into what. There are advantages of
distributed processing over busses like and ISA. There is also an advantage of mass
integration. These can be wieghed at alater date.

Right now there is a working MC6809 VHDL core available. Mark is working on doing a
MC6847/MC6883 chips. I plan to pick back up  work on the GIME chip of the Coco3. The
VHDL core of the MC6809 will run at about 12MHz. as it stands now. I have an HDL core for
the 6522 which is a derivative of the 6821. The only thing really left to tackle oafter the
GIME chip is to do the salt chip. The analog mixer will have to be external and Analog
Device makes an IC to do that.

I would love to have a Coco 3 that sat on a card say about 4x6 running at 12MHz. Feed a
LCD display and use PS2 style mouse and keyboard. Internet and other stuff wou ld be fine
but for what I would like it is not necessary. I would like to have a nice embeded board to do
so stuff with.

just my  thoughts.

james