[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

Dan Olson dano at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Jan 27 23:29:17 EST 2007

> Before we run we need to walk first. First step is to get say a Coco1/2
> /or 3 functional in a FPGA developemnt board. All the other added
> features and expansion are niceties but getting something to work with
> existing software and peripheral is of more concern.

I agree, I'm just saying that we can put the "niceties" in a software
based emulator and work on getting the hardware working all in parallel.

> I would stoop that low to say crazy. Concerned yes. Single versus
> multiple FPGAs is a debate that can later be discussed. Right now the
> main concern is getting certain pieces coded in HDL before we are
> concerned with what goes into what. There are advantages of distributed
> processing over busses like and ISA. There is also an advantage of mass
> integration. These can be wieghed at alater date.

Well, true, but this does affect the target FPGA(s) chosen.  Again, this
won't be something I'll take on, so I'll leave it to others to decide.

> I would love to have a Coco 3 that sat on a card say about 4x6 running
> at 12MHz. Feed a LCD display and use PS2 style mouse and keyboard.
> Internet and other stuff wou ld be fine but for what I would like it is
> not necessary. I would like to have a nice embeded board to do so stuff
> with.

I'd probably choose something like an ATX board or maybe a backplane that
used the CoCo cartridge type connector already used for other expansion
hardware.  A LCD display and PS/2 kb/mouse would of course make sence.

 	Dan