[Coco] Keeping current... ????

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Tue Feb 27 18:25:21 EST 2007

Joel Ewy wrote:
> Dan Olson wrote:
>
>>...  I've even got a 386 that I used as an Xterminal for the longest
>>time, it was a little slow loading up but ran great once it got
>>going.  ...
>>

> I've used '486es as X terminals (and also a '386 years ago) and they do
> very well.  Linux Terminal Server Project is a nice way to use some
> older PCs as terminals for more recent ones.  The system image it
> exports to the X terminal is pretty stripped down, so it boots less
> slowly than a full-blown system.
>
> I've got a bunch of old 68K Macs that I've installed Debian on.  On
> systems like that, offloading the GUI onto an X terminal can leave more
> RAM and CPU for user apps on the application server.  I've been meaning
> to make a hybrid system with a Quadra 630 (68040-33, 64M RAM) to run
> applications and a Quadra 700 (68040-25, 20M RAM) as a dedicated X
> terminal.  That way I don't have to waste precious system RAM and CPU
> cycles just running the GUI.  If I could come up with enough supported
> ethernet adaptors I could even bond the channels and get 20Mbps between
> the two systems to increase the bandwidth for screen updates.
>
> JCE
>
>>    Dan
For the record, the last time I tried my old 386 (ALR Business VEISA, 33
MHz, EISA bus, 49 M ram), it ran fine.  Well mostly. The EISA bus was
either going out or the Adaptec 2742W was. I even had a port of Mozilla
1.8b that ran (had to fix the atomic instruction support). Good way to
see if you are over doing the caffeine (sp?). I have not tried to boot
it in about 9 months. I am hopeful that no more mouses have weed on the
MB! I submitted a patch to the linux kernel to compute the clock speed
for 386 & 486 using cycle counting and the bogomips value (or cycles per
loop).

My Q700 has a newer tech 50 MHz upgrade in it. Seems to run fine. ...
Unless you try to compile something with global common subexpression
elimination. Then it rarely produces the same code twice??? OS is NetBSD
1.6. It does make it faster. The bogomazes value is nearly double.

Oh, this message is being composed on a Compaq Contura (486dx2 at 40, 28 M
ram) using Mozilla 1.8b2. 28 M of ram is NOT enough to run Mozilla!
Kernel is 2.4.31.

kevin