[Coco] Keeping current... ????

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Feb 27 12:52:15 EST 2007

Dan Olson wrote:
> ...  I've even got a 386 that I used as an Xterminal for the longest
> time, it was a little slow loading up but ran great once it got
> going.  ...

I've used '486es as X terminals (and also a '386 years ago) and they do
very well.  Linux Terminal Server Project is a nice way to use some
older PCs as terminals for more recent ones.  The system image it
exports to the X terminal is pretty stripped down, so it boots less
slowly than a full-blown system.

I've got a bunch of old 68K Macs that I've installed Debian on.  On
systems like that, offloading the GUI onto an X terminal can leave more
RAM and CPU for user apps on the application server.  I've been meaning
to make a hybrid system with a Quadra 630 (68040-33, 64M RAM) to run
applications and a Quadra 700 (68040-25, 20M RAM) as a dedicated X
terminal.  That way I don't have to waste precious system RAM and CPU
cycles just running the GUI.  If I could come up with enough supported
ethernet adaptors I could even bond the channels and get 20Mbps between
the two systems to increase the bandwidth for screen updates.

JCE