[Coco] Using a NTSC Coco in the UK - my findings

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Thu Feb 22 16:09:52 EST 2007

Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:

>Do NOT attempt to remove the gime with a small tool, all you'll likely do
>is cause a crack in the corner of the socket by prying on it.  Use only a
>regular plcc puller tool.  About a tenner the last time I bought one.

Nah... You just need the correct "wrong tool." ;-)

I've removed quite a few of them with curved dental picks - chat up your
local favourite dental hygienist and see what they do with their old
"no-longer-sharpenable" picks - that's my aunt's profession so I have a
ready source for them. ;-)

Granted, you do need to be a touch more careful, and some picks work better
than others, but I've prolly removed 80-100 PLCC chips from sockets over
the years and not chipped or damaged a single one.

They're handy for lots of other shiznit, too, so if you don't have any
PLCCs laying around, don't use that as an excuse not to score a few
freebies... ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Profile, don't speculate."
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers |     Daniel J. Bernstein