[Coco] Using a NTSC Coco in the UK - my findings

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 17:19:08 EST 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>On 22 Feb 2007 at 15:20, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I suspect this is going to happen more and more often, so I recommend
>> getting a "plcc" puller from the shack, and reseating the gime.  We
>> had the same problems with the amiga's as they aged, requiring both
>> the agnus chip and the socket be separated and both cleaned up with a
>> WET pencil eraser, WET to hold down the static, then blown dry to
>> remove the eraser debris before reseating the chip in the socket.
>> Commie never heard of gold flashing anything, just like the shack.
>
>******************
>ARGH the wet pencil eraser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>I have always used alcohol and a Q tip. Pencil erasers leave residue
> that has oils in them.

That's a given James, and I gave the readers the benefit of the doubt,
assuming they would all wash things up with alcohol before they dried
them anyway.  And the alcohol from a qt can of it, about 8 bucks at the
paint store is purer than the walgreens watered down & denatured junk by
far.  One (drug store) is de-natured _ethyl_ and one (the paint store
version) is _methyl_ though.  Burns right nice in a rip snorter two
stroker too, been well above 120mph with it several times. :-)  But needs
castor oil as lube, nothing else will mix with it.

> I use alcolhol from Walgreens that is 90%. SOme
> outlets you can find up to 95%. That is even better.
>
>Unless you take a dental pick and bend the ends to use as a tool,

Very difficult to get a sharp enough corner to the bend, and the point
only needs to stick out sideways maybe 20 thou.  Buy the right tool.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)