[Coco] What are some good starting points for a CoCo noob (me)?

richard rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Fri Aug 17 23:39:39 EDT 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 23:35:13 Hex Star wrote:
> On 8/16/07, richard <rcrislip at neo.rr.com> wrote:
> > If you are serious about learning the CoCo, I'd suggest that you purchase
> > one
> > if you haven't already. After you do obtain an working CoCo (with disk
> > drives
> > or a DriveWire which uses you PC as a disk drive) go through Radio
> > Shack's Manuals and learn Color Basic. Then obtain and learn OS-9. You
> > can reverse the order if you want, but the bottom line is you have to
> > crawl before you can walk.
>
> I have my eye on a good eBay CoCo listing... :)
>
> Since I'm new I don't exactly know what titles the Radio Shack manuals you
> mention have? Perhaps you could mention just a couple to get me started?
> Thanks! :)

One of the previous responders did that, It is called "Getting Strated With
Extended Color Basic". For OS-9, that manual is simply called "OS-9 Operating
System". I think Bob Drieves <sp?> has posted a PDF version of it online on
his CoCo Down Under Web site. Bob Please correct me if I am wrong. Now dude,
I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are being genuine in your
request for help here. Please do not use this as a sneaky way to get your
hands on the material that caused all the ruckus in the first place. Also,
every year we, the Glennside Color Computer Club, hold a CoCoFeat in Elgin
Ill. Come and join us. It is a cheap date and can be very informative for
those seeking to increase their CoCo knowledge. Also, as another responder
suggested, after you get an operating CoCo, try to obtain issues of the old
Rainbow Color Computer magazine. It has been out of publication since 1992,
but it is full of Extended Color Basic and OS-9 tips and programs you can
copy in and hardware information.