[Coco] What are some good starting points for a CoCo noob (me)?

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Thu Aug 16 06:58:07 EDT 2007

Hex:

Here are a few suggestions that I have:

1) If you don't have a CoCo - get one and learn about the
machine.

2) If #1 is not practical, get one of the emulators and
learn about the CoCo by programming some basic programs

What a lot of younger people like you are missing out on
is that the older machines like the CoCo were not so
"black box" as the current PC are.  i what I mean is that
with a machine like the CoCo you could actually get down
into the guts of the system and learn about every aspect
of it from the CPU itself, the individual controllers like
the PIA, the keyboard controller, the video chip, and the
disk controller.

While I have been on this list for a long time, I am no
where near as knowledgeable as I should be, but I am
working towards learning as much as I can.

Here are a few other things you can do for community:

3) Offer you server as a mirror for others to use.  I
don't know the particulars of your system, but if you can
allow others access to just a specific section of your
server, that would allow them to mirror their sites to
yours.

4) You have at times demonstrated the ability to dig up
information very quickly.  Use that talent to help others
in the community by tracking down information and
presenting it in a manner that is simple and to the point.
 You have to be careful though as to not allow yourself to
get too distracted and crawl down a rabbit hole so to
speak and get lost trying to find something that isn't
there. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I didn't get any
sleep tonight)

5) Since you have a GMail account, you can create a Google
Pages site and post what you have learned about the CoCo
there.  Others can then visit your site, provide input and
suggestions and you can learn  even more.

Hopefully these suggestions will help.  One last thing
that I have learned is that before asking a question about
something, try to find out the answer on your own first.
 I sometimes shoot from the hip when I ask questions and
mis the obvious answers that I could have found on my own.
 Remember that the journey is part of the fun of learning
(I am just realizing that :)

I hope this makes sense and helps.  If it doesn't make
sense, just remember I haven't had any sleep tonight
(haven't really slept well in 30 years)

Cheers!

Jim