[Coco] Rainbow IDE in Linux

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Sat Aug 11 10:23:09 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> Right now I'm impressed with the Wine system.  To my surprise, once it
> is installed you can click on .exe files even from web pages, and Linux
> will automatically run them as if you are in Windows.  I really see no
> reason to port the Rainbow IDE if Linux can already use it as-is.  No
> special emulator window is needed.  It even shows up in the Linux apps
> menu under Wine->Programs->Rainbow IDE just like it does in the Windows
> start menu.

The problem with wine is that it is NOT a standard install on just about
every Linux distro. Also, software running under wine needs some wine-fu
to allow it to access files anywhere on the Linux file system which is
not ideal.

On top of that, many of us Linux users are running Linux precisely so we
can avoid some of Windows' more dubious features. Wine, on the other
hand, attempts to duplicate said features, right down to being able to
execute most of the worms and so on. While that means it is largely
successful at its goal, it also raises objections for some.

I, for one, will not install wine to run an IDE of any kind.

All that said, it is obviously your call whether you make a Linux port
or not. While a cool IDE would be nice on occasion, I can easily get by
using my current development environment. None of the above should be
taken as discouragement against continuing to develop Rainbow IDE.

--
William Astle
finger lost at l-w.ca for further information

Geek Code V3.12: GCS/M/S d- s+:+ !a C++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ !E W++ !N w---
!D !M PS PE V-- Y+ PGP t+@ 5++ X !R tv+@ b+++@ !DI D? G e++ h+ y?