[Coco] Rainbow IDE in Linux

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Aug 11 00:42:43 EDT 2007

Tonight I tested my Portal-9 IDE in Linux (via Wine) and it seems to
have some pathname problems not related to Linux itself.  Rainbow
works quite well but I haven't tried to install Win32 MESS via Wine
to see if it can run that way.  If I can get the Linux version of
MESS installed I'll do more testing.

Right now I'm impressed with the Wine system.  To my surprise, once
it is installed you can click on .exe files even from web pages, and
Linux will automatically run them as if you are in Windows.  I really
see no reason to port the Rainbow IDE if Linux can already use it
as-is.  No special emulator window is needed.  It even shows up in
the Linux apps menu under Wine->Programs->Rainbow IDE just like it
does in the Windows start menu.

I just loaded the CoCo->Hello World project, clicked Go, and the
hello.bin file was created by CCASM.  I then loaded the .bin file
using Rainbow's hex editor, and it appears to be valid.  Again, all
done as if you are in Windows... no special changes or tweaks are
needed as far as I can tell.

The path to the .bin is right where I expected it to be put....

/root/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rainbow IDE/Projects/CoCo/Hello
World/Files/hello.bin

Ofcourse, the IDE displays the pathname using Windows \ backslashes
and in the native Windows format:

c:\Program Files\Rainbow IDE\Projects\CoCo\Hello World\Files\hello.bin

--
Roger Taylor