[Coco] Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:51:19 EDT 2007

On 8/4/07, wdg3rd at comcast.net <wdg3rd at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm running a bit behind, and don't know if anyone has brought this
> up.  If the XP drives are formatted as vfat/dos32, there is no problem.  But
> Linux writing to NTFS is still under no warranty and it can trash the data
> on the disk.

Exactly, I mentioned the same warning on this list earlier but ended up
getting it debated with another list member against my wishes... But yes, if
you do try to write to a NTFS volume in Linux unless you are absolutely sure
the volume is being manipulated through the ntfs-3g driver then all bets are
off as to the integrity of the data on the NTFS volume after you do any
write operation on the volume in Linux, so be very careful if you decide to
go this route. It is safer to simply set aside a partition in FAT32 or ext2
for writing to from Linux and reading in Windows as both are fully supported
by Linux and Windows (although the mounting of ext2 volumes in Windows does
require the installation of a 3rd party driver). You can do this non
destructively even if you already have a NTFS partition by using free
partitioning tools such as gparted or for pay 3rd party tools in Windows
such as Partition Magic, do NOT however use a tool such as ms-dos fdisk as
that is a destructive partitioning tool and it will not preserve any
existing data on any existing partitions after any partitioning actions.
Best of luck! :)