[Coco] Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know

Briza bpa65117 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 5 05:03:20 EDT 2007

Hi Gene.

You mentioned this in your last post.

And this is a good excuse for me to jump in and emphasize that in either cable
style, the drive to be used as the master drive MUST be on the end of the
cable as it does the scsi-like and _required_ termination.  Automatically,
you don't see it, but its there.  The slave if used must then be on the
middle connector since 'slaves' don't enable their terminations.  In no case
can you put a master programmed drive on the middle connector and leave the
surplus cable hanging in the breeze, its not a matter of if your data gets
scrambled, but when, and its usually sooner than later.

Sitting here reading this thread, I'm wondering if that's what actually
happened here.  Decent cabling, but miss-configured keeps raising the thought
in my mind.  I have had a couple of really cheap cables go toes up, but more
than likely in the one case I have right now, the chipset simply cannot
handle two drives on the same cable, which is the case in the box that runs
my milling machine.  I've had 3 drives and 3 cables in that box trying to
make it handle two drives on cable 0, can't be done, both drives will get
trashed in pretty short order.  Just one drive and its been fine for over a
year.  EMC doesn't need the other 60GB of drive anyway.

Well I have to say your right. I never realised it. But my Master was in the Middle of the cable. And my old Win98se drive was on the end cable. No wonder sometimes the Win98se would bootup and ignore the Master drive(XP, As it was in the middle). So this and the faulty cable would surely do as you say. And start to slowly corrupt the Boot track on my XP drive.
 So when I hook up both drives again. The Master drive will be on the End. And the Slave will be in the middle. This should stop the slow corruption process.

 Also to the Fellow coconut who mentioned. Is the IDE cable a DRIVE SELECT CABLE. Not by the looks of it. Looks standard to me. Also both drives were jumpered. XP(Master), Win98se(Slave).

laters

Briza