[Coco] Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Sun Aug 5 04:19:15 EDT 2007

wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> From: "Briza" <bpa65117 at bigpond.net.au>
>> Hi Manney.
>>
>> My new Master drive is running WINXP. The same as my crahsed unit.
>> Manney I will be trying out your idea of having both HD drives
>> hooked up. and running Linux to access them. then I can transfer
>> the coco archive onto my new XP drive.
>
> I'm running a bit behind, and don't know if anyone has brought this
> up.  If the XP drives are formatted as vfat/dos32, there is no
> problem.  But Linux writing to NTFS is still under no warranty and it
> can trash the data on the disk.

I think if he's using a newer (since February) release, he shouldn't
have too much trouble, as it might just have ntfs-3g, which went stable
around that time. I guess the big thing is to make sure that ntfs-3g is
being used before starting the procedure. Of course, if he's concerned
about it, then he could setup a ~5 gig FAT32 partition to transfer the
CoCo archive to.

-M.