[Coco] Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Aug 4 22:44:31 EDT 2007

From: "Briza" <bpa65117 at bigpond.net.au>
> Hi Manney.
>
> My new Master drive is running WINXP. The same as my crahsed unit.
>  Manney I will be trying out your idea of having both HD drives hooked up. and
> running Linux to access them. then I can transfer the coco archive onto my new
> XP drive.

I'm running a bit behind, and don't know if anyone has brought this up.  If the XP drives are formatted as vfat/dos32, there is no problem.  But Linux writing to NTFS is still under no warranty and it can trash the data on the disk.  I'd recommend using something other than your new OS disk as the destination.  Since you'll be booting from CD, use an old pre-XP Windows/DOS HD in that spot, then rearrange the jumpers after to copy from there to the new XP drive.

Braces, belt, duct tape and thumbtacks.  Use every tool to avoid losing data.  No need to freeze anything even though I know it's the depth of winter in your neighborhood, for various interpretations of depth, as Australia spans a fair bit of longitude.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Well, if you're gonna buy a ticket on the Titanic, you might as well go First Class.

Captain Audie Murphy, Texas Ranger, in _Roswell, Texas_ by L. Neil Smith, Rex May and Scott Bieser.
http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell/