[Coco] Weird errors(DSK images.. NOT!!)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 16:12:02 EDT 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 15:08, George's Coco Address wrote:
> [...]

George;

Is XP locked away from the hardware that tightly, that you cannot install a
floppy disk, let the system find it, install the drivers and make use of
it?  I'm asking because I truely don't know, and the only way I could
attach a floppy to the only XP box I have would be via usb in an external
case, its an HP laptop & the drives are a 100GB 2.5"er, and a lightscribe
compatible cd/dvd burner, which FWIW, worked just fine when I made the
backups before shrinking the xp partition from 100 to 25GB so I could
install linux on the rest of it. It runs Fedora Core 5 99.9% of the time
anyway. :)  Windows, bah humbug.  Spit.  Now I gotta warsh me mouth out
with some of grandmas lie soap.  :(

> and it's impossible for me to do so on this XP box, how about
> someone would develop a way to convert a DSK file to a disk on a coco?
> It's quite easy for me to transfer the DSK file from this XP box to my
> coco via the RS232 port. Been transferring stuff since W-95.

That shouldn't be hard at all George, once the .dsk is on the coco's hard
drive.  Then its simply a matter of opening the dsk file for reading, and
the raw floppy drive /dx@ for writing, where x is the drive number, and
reading an array of sectors, say about a tracks worth, then write that to
the raw but formatted disk until you hit the eof on the file.  That should
work.  By definition, the .dsk is an image of that desired disk from lsn0
to the end, either of the data to write, or the end of the disk.

The reason I said hard drive is that a full disk image in .dsk format can
be as big as any floppy we can use.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)