[Coco] Nitros9 Boot Disk "issues"

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Tue May 23 18:58:08 EDT 2006

Rumor has it that Phill Harvey-Smith may have mentioned these words:
>Frank Pittel wrote:
>>On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 01:12:07PM -0400, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>><On topic for list part of post snipped! :-) >
>>>=-=-=-=
>>>
>>>In other news, I can tell you that Athlon64 CPUs are *schweet* for
>>>running MESS, except it's not multithreaded, so it'll only run on one
>>>CPU. I have .103b on my flash drive (to make sure it's a similar test)
>>>and my Athlon64 4400+ (dual core 2.2Ghz) runs it over 600% natural speed
>>>with no frameskip; twice as fast as my Athlon 2600+ MP which runs at
>>>2.13 Ghz. @ about 280%.
>
>Allowing for the fact I'm using Windows XP, I'm getting about 1400% on
>0.105 running the CoCo3 emulation on Mess, on an XP-64 3500+ which is
>single core @ 2.2GHz, which seems strange, compared to your figures, I'm
>also running with no frameskip.

MESS might be faster in XP mainly due to video handling... 2K (which is
what I run both at work & at home on the "big boxen") isn't particularly
known for it's video prowess.

Also, are you running full-screen or windowed? MESS ran faster for me in
fullscreen mode; but it was tougher to do "other things" like browse the
Interweb for info or take snapshots of the screen then open 'em up in a
image display program.

>>>Oh, and at 600%, one would need to adjust the keyrepeat values, as it's
>>>*way* to easy to get multiple letters whilst typing.
>
>Intrestingly because of the way the CoCo/Dragon keyboard handler is
>written you can used basic fine even with the frameskip enabled.

For basic; as Basic doesn't have key-repeat. Boot that rascal into Nitros9,
and watch the text fflllyyyy! ;-)

>>I'd just like to point out that the Athlon64 4400+ works real well with Linux
>>also! :-) It actually took me a few days to get used to how fast things
>>ran under it!!
>
>Yeah I really must get round to repairing the dual boot install on this
>machine, Linux is still there, but the boot loader got blasted by a
>windows repair install :( I really wish Microsoft OSs would ask if you
>want to replace the boot loader, if it detects code already there.

Yea, My work machine needs Winders (Peachtree doesn't run in Linux) often
enough that rebooting's a pain, tho I do have a couple of Linuxen running
under VirtualPC 2K4... ;-)

Our company's moving to a server-based Quickbooks, and then we'll just VNC
to the server... when that gets finalized, I'll ditch Winders completely;
as my job is primarily Linux box administration. I'd like to see how a
natively-compiled x64 box would run -- and I'm guessing *Fly*! ;-)

But this is wandering a bit too off-topic... ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.