[Coco] Nitros9 Boot Disk "issues"

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Tue May 23 18:29:00 EDT 2006

Frank Pittel wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 01:12:07PM -0400, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> <On topic for list part of post snipped! :-) >
>> =-=-=-=
>>
>> In other news, I can tell you that Athlon64 CPUs are *schweet* for running
>> MESS, except it's not multithreaded, so it'll only run on one CPU. I have
>> .103b on my flash drive (to make sure it's a similar test) and my Athlon64
>> 4400+ (dual core 2.2Ghz) runs it over 600% natural speed with no frameskip;
>> twice as fast as my Athlon 2600+ MP which runs at 2.13 Ghz. @ about 280%.

Allowing for the fact I'm using Windows XP, I'm getting about 1400% on
0.105 running the CoCo3 emulation on Mess, on an XP-64 3500+ which is
single core @ 2.2GHz, which seems strange, compared to your figures, I'm
also running with no frameskip.

Aha, just tried running a simple basic program (10 PRINT "PHILL WAS HERE
"; 20 GOTO 10), and the framerate dropped to around 750% for my setup.

>> Oh, and at 600%, one would need to adjust the keyrepeat values, as it's
>> *way* to easy to get multiple letters whilst typing.

Intrestingly because of the way the CoCo/Dragon keyboard handler is
written you can used basic fine even with the frameskip enabled.

> I'd just like to point out that the Athlon64 4400+ works real well with Linux
> also! :-) It actually took me a few days to get used to how fast things
> ran under it!!

Yeah I really must get round to repairing the dual boot install on this
machine, Linux is still there, but the boot loader got blasted by a
windows repair install :( I really wish Microsoft OSs would ask if you
want to replace the boot loader, if it detects code already there.

Cheers.

Phill.