[Coco] DMP-106 Pinter sighted

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 15 00:23:29 EST 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 23:38, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>Went back to the Goodwill shop today and checked the price on their
> Tandy DMP-106 printer.  Seven bucks.   Original box and styrofoam
> packing blocks, no cable, no manual.  Has 4-pin Coco serial and
> standard  parallel inputs.
>
>No I didn't want it, but I thought folks who keep track of such things
>  might like to know what a vintage Coco printer sells for.  ISTR I
> sold off  my reliable DMP-105 at a Fest way back when.
>--Mike K.

Ouch, Mike, thats a no-no, mentioning the DMP-105 and reliable in the
same sentence.  Tsk Tsk

For hobby use maybe, but it was all worn out in less than a month doing
telephone logging, long before the first 5000 sheet box of 16 lb
tractor feed and the fifth ribbon was used up.  Its major problem was a
very puny head drive stepper, followed by a propensity for the ribbons
to freeze up, caused by an incompatibility between the inks and the
plastic it was molded from.  They would litterally weld the knob into
the houseing like sewer pipe cement.  I tried many variations of
lubrication on those rails trying to make it work for 3 days running
after the first 2 weeks. After a couple of months and 2 of them, we
bought an oki, fed it a ribbon a month and forgot about it till that
phone pbx was retired.  When we pulled it out into good light, I
couldn't believe the amount of paper dust clogging up the works in that
oki, but its only real problem was worn out head.  Paper still fed thru
it, and if you could read around the broken/missing pins it was fine.

OTOH, that was a nearly $400 printer too. It ate about 30 of those 5000
sheet boxes of tractor feed in its life.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: