[Coco] Re: CoCo video? (CoCo4)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Mar 4 16:40:42 EST 2006

On 4 Mar 2006 at 20:09, farna at att.net wrote:

>  The CoCo video really can't be upgraded without a new
> GIME, and even then there would still be some limitations.

The only limitations I see is the lack of imagination and economics.

Doing another GIME chip or GIME like chip is just a matter of time and inspiration.
Doing it in an FPGA vs an ASIC gives you flexability. Swap VDU cores and change
register definitions and away you go. The Coco3 memory map still has enough
room to add at least 32 more registers. So that partt is not tapped out. How much
backward compatibility to the Coco 1/2 really becomes the stumbling block I see.

The real limitations is the current Coco 3 motherboard. To many of the components
used on it are obsolete. Not really expandable as it could be.

james