[Coco] Re: CoCo video? (CoCo4)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Mar 4 15:16:50 EST 2006

Frank

Why? That is a really good question.

Well simply put it this way, I have wanted a simple and small embedded computer
system that can be used to control my telescopes. By small, my goal is to have a
board about the size of a 4x6 card or smaller that contains much if not all the
present Coco 3 and drive a 640x200 monochrome LCD that I already have. So this
started out as a hobby project that I devote some time here and there over the past
year or so.

Yes I could do most with a laptop and a card with some dedicated hardware. I could
even go out and buy a Intel based embedded board also. There are other processor
basedembedded boards that are available. But simply I like the old venerable Coco
and actually RSBASIC can do all the functions that I need to control a scope.

As for cost, yes right now doing everything in a XC2S300E(Spartan 2E family) is an
expensive project for any production beyond a onesee twosee situation. If more
boards were to be built, I would definitely consider the Spartan 3 family of parts.
The XC3S400 can be had for in the $25 range. Half the cost of the Spartan 2E 300K
gate part I am currently using.

Right now the size of the card depends on how many I/Os I willrequire from the
FPGA.

Besides it has been a fun learning experience. I finally getting to do what I want to
do, design an IC.

james