[Coco] Re: CoCo video? (CoCo4)

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Mar 4 15:09:08 EST 2006

I remember the problem with getting the PC video cards to work. Part of the problem was the closely guarded programming for the drivers. To much competition in that arena!! No one would give up code, even for older cards due to possible trade secrets, I believe.

I think you're right though Mark. The Superboard will be the ultimate upgrade to the classic CoCo -- closest to a CoCo4. It's been so long since the CoCo3 now that we'd likely be on aabout a CoCo 6 (at least five) if development had continued, and all the CoCo2 (and likely a lot of CoCo3) compatibility would be gone by now. There comes a point when it's just to difficult to support all the old software and make a system more powerful. I mean really, how many people would want to run even CoCoMax3 when "CoCoMax5" would be so much more anyway? So development wise I think we'd be out there by now. The CoCo video really can't be upgraded without a new GIME, and even then there would still be some limitations.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

For someone or company to take a PC motherboard and write drivers to
get it to work under an emulated platform. Maybe?? Considerable
amount of work though. Then what? You still don't really have a CoCo
to the fundamentalist. Does it matter? To me it does, to some one
else it might not.

My point again? This thread appears almost predictably. I have shut
down sales until I have completed the SuperBoard. Sales this past
year kept me from working on it and I had orders out 90 days in many
cases. To me the SuperBoard will be as close to a CoCo4 as we might ever get???

Someone, group, or company has to step up and take this dream to
reality. Any takers??

Regards,

Mark
Cloud-9