[Coco] Re: CoCo video? (CoCo4)

Mark Marlette mark at cloud9tech.com
Sat Mar 4 14:13:40 EST 2006

Not to burst anyone's bubble here but here are some things to
consider on a project of this nature. Carl Krieder made an AT306
computer that used an ISA video card. Carl's capabilities as a
designer and programmer have zero questionability. Carl had an
incredibly difficult time getting these ISA video card to function
properly in the AT306. Even a rev change of the board would break the
driver. This was until Carl genius idea of making a 68306 x86
emulator that would allow the BIOS on the card to initialize the
card. Not sure how long it took Carl to do this but it was a long
time. I have an AT306 and love it. It drained Carl though, IMHO.
Chris Hawks could add something here, as he worked side by side Carl
and helped on the AT306 project. These guys credentials are
outstanding.....My point....

There are many people in this world today who's full time job is to
write drivers for these EXTREMELY complex devices. Even though a P3
isn't the latest, doesn't matter, it is complex and the inter
workings of the initialization process. The time for a hobbist to do
this would be man years. So does this person buy 100-200 motherboards
at once for this shot? Because by then time the development is
complete the motherboard will be long gone. When we quote Compaq to
do electrical test on their motherboards, from conception to end of
production life run was 6 months! That is incredible! That is today's
electronics.

The process that Carl used on his AT306. He designed his own
motherboard using PC superchip set, and used the off the shelf video
cards. Wrote the drivers, licensed the OS and had virtual consoles. AWESOME.

For someone or company to take a PC motherboard and write drivers to
get it to work under an emulated platform. Maybe?? Considerable
amount of work though. Then what? You still don't really have a CoCo
to the fundamentalist. Does it matter? To me it does, to some one
else it might not.

My point again? This thread appears almost predictably. I have shut
down sales until I have completed the SuperBoard. Sales this past
year kept me from working on it and I had orders out 90 days in many
cases. To me the SuperBoard will be as close to a CoCo4 as we might ever get???

Someone, group, or company has to step up and take this dream to
reality. Any takers??

Regards,

Mark
Cloud-9