[Coco] Lonnie Falk died June 9, 2006

Brian Blake random_rodder at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 08:09:38 EDT 2006

My suggestion is send the mail message to Mrs. Falk, expressing the condolences of the group and explaining the effect Lonnie's magazine had on the members of the group (his mag and the Coco helped lead me to a life of working with computers, for example) and how sorry we were to hear of his passing.

  Wait three or four months or better yet, continue the project to its completion. Once the project is complete, contact Mrs. Falk directly sending her a copy of the product, the contract that Lonnie signed and a letter explaining what you are trying to do and ask her if she would honor the existing contract or make some other agreement. Maybe you could even go as far as dedicating it to Lonnie, in his memory. Your what, 6 months away from completion? Six months is certainly an acceptable time frame and with having a complete package to show her, I doubt you would have any problems from from the family. I know if I were in their shoes, I'd find that a fitting tribute to a big part of his life.

  Although the flip side to this if she declines to honor the existing contract all of that work has been done in vain if she refuses to make some kind of other agreement with you. Ultimately, that is a decision you and the volunteers need to come to. IF I had the equipment and was working on the project, I'd vote to take the cgance and continue, but, that's just me. I'm sure the rest of us will back you in whatever decision you make.

  Good luck,

  brian

Michael Wayne Harwood <michael at musicheadproductions.org> wrote:

> Then there's the question of whether it's too soon to approach one about this.

That's an excellent question, and I have been wrestling with it since I heard of Lonnie's death. How soon is appropriate?

I am thinking of sending an email to the current mayor to ask if he might be able to direct me to the attorney (if any) that is handling the estate. Does anyone know for a fact how a contract is handled in the event that one of the parties passes away? I assume that the copyright to the Rainbow has passed to one or more heirs and I will need to establish an agreement with them.

Regards,
Michael Harwood