[Coco] Virtual PC Is Now Free!

Carey Eugene carey at cebridge.net
Thu Jul 13 15:51:05 EDT 2006

> System Requirements
>
>    * Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows
> Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> I don't know if I can use this system to install Red Hat Linux 9.0 on my
> laptop and either dual-boot or run concurrently with XP SP2 but that would
> be NICE for CoCo development.  ;)

For their free server VM, you had to download additional stuff to do Linux,
although they only partially acknowledged & supported it.

Try Qemu.  No, it's not as flasy as VMWare or VirtualPC, but from what I
gather, it's quite usable nowdays.  (I haven't used qemu in 6+ months.)  I
don't think they've done a new release lately, so you might need to get the
daily cvs and build it yourself.

You can also download some pre-made images.  Linux, FreeDOS, etc. at
OSZoo.org  The user support forums are at http://qemu.dad-answers.com/

Also (for others interested) I don't know if they've gotten around to
supporting the Mac's x86 processor now.  They've probably done some stuff,
but it probably wont yet run x86 stuff at full speed.  It'd probably still
emulate everything, with a resulting 10x performance penalty.

Carey