[Coco] Re: Reporting SPAM

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Jul 9 22:24:11 EDT 2006

I recommend that anyone with a real interest please go to
www.spamcop.net and go to the help forums.  They have help forums both
web based and private news server based which you can browse or ask
questions.

I could write some long stuff about what can be done about spam, but
frankly, I have written it before here, and apparently it has been
mostly ignored.

But if you do care, most of the significant stuff is in the FAQs in the
spamcop.net forums.  Especially if you want a relatively spam free inbox
with out having to use personal filters.

Now when evaluating anti-spam methods:

To my mind, a spam filter that silently deletes messages or hides them
in a quarantine is useless.  The first case has a silent error rate, and
in the second case, if it has a high enough error rate that I need to
check the quarantine, it is useless, and if I am not checking the
quarantine, then what errors it have are effectively silent.

If a real e-mail sent to either may qsl.net e-mail address or my
encompasserve.org e-mail is misclassified as spam, the sender will get
notified of non-delivery by their mail server, provided their mail
server is set correctly.

My qsl.net e-mail address feeds into my encompasserve.org e-mail.
Between the two widely harvested e-mail addresses.  Encompasserve is
about 2 years behind state of the art in spam detection and is only
using blocking lists, qsl.net is using unspecified aggressive spam
detection.  For both combined, 5 spams out of 60 valid e-mails today,
which seems to be about average lately.

Encompasserve (shell/imap) accounts are available for free signups, and
Encompasserve is currently running totally on member donations which are
currently averaging about $50 U.S. per member.

Encompasserve is not running in a fault tolerant configuration, but as a
hobby, and typically seems to have about 2 or so brief outages per year,
and I have been using them as my primary mail server operator for years.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
malmberg(at)encompasserve.org