[Coco] Firewall Alerts

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Sat Jul 8 15:07:52 EDT 2006

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:38:44 -0600
  Alan Jones <ojones at elp.rr.com> wrote:
> PaulH96636 at aol.com wrote:
>> I've been on AOL for many years.  AOL seems to have a
>>great spam  blocker
>> built into v9.0SE
>> as I get less than a dozen spams per week.  I know this
>>sounds like a  plug,
>> but that's the
>> way it is, (with Verizon DSL too).
>>
>> Still haven't received any replies regarding an
>>experience using dial-up  and
>> getting dozens of
>> firewall alerts reporting remote computers trying to
>>access my  computer.
>> Guess no one else
>> has gotten the same result.
>>
>> -ph
>>

> Paul,
> I have gotten those alerts before even when I was using
>dial up. I quit using dialup about two years ago. I used
>to us ZoneAlarm firewall and it would tell me when
>someone else was trying to access my computer. I didn't
>worry about it because ZoneAlarm locked them out. But it
>was amazing to see how many times I was getting "probed."
>:)
> I use Symantec Client Firewall now and it works very
>well.
>
> Alan

I remember someone recently conducting a study where they
had two identical systems running XP SP2 with XP's
firewall turned on and no other security such as a
hardware firewall.

One system was on DSL, the other was on Dialup.  The
number of hits were almost the same.

-Jim Cox
http://www.miba51.com/